Friday, January 11, 2008

Most Disorders Are Learned

There are people. They are all different from each other - physically different, levels of intelligence, aptitude, behavioral style, etc. Here, using myself as an example and analyzing deeply, I intend to explain, how many behaviors that we term as abnormalities, are learned, and not genetic.

Multi-personality Disorder:
Many times I plan for something, but do otherwise. At that moment, I'm not in control of myself, and don't realize what I am doing. Sometimes I have experiences, I consider as best forgotten, and put them behind myself. Has a different personality of mine overtaken me at that moment? No.
It is like what i do when i cross the road. I decide whether to cross or not - either-or. Never do i take a middle path of crossing patiently, if a vehicle is approaching. Is this what should be done? yes. You can't stay on the road obstructing it. You have to either cross, or wait. There is no partial solution. So also in behavior. Either i do it, or wait for others to do.
When i make a decision, i follow it. I don't reevaluate my decision at every stage. I put any other options behind me. I drop them or try to drop them from my conscious mind. This is just normal behavior.

Dyslexia:
I am Clumsy, uncoordinated, poor at ball or team sports, and prone to motion-sickness.
I have difficulty putting thoughts into word, with severe communication handicap.
Despite a lot of rereads, there is little comprehension. Also, possesses strong sense of justice, and strives for perfection. These are all typical strong symptoms of dyslexia across various function areas.
Can it be attributed to any reason other than dyslexia? yes.
I never played ball or team sports in my childhood life. I was an extreme introvert, always in my den, and rarely interacted with people, resulting in later life difficulties in communication. At the same time, i'm pretty good at spellings due to a devoted & focussed primary school teachers.
I'm also exceptionally good at Maths.
These are complete coincidental skills that i learned in my childhood. Any Learning happens best in Childhood. Anything learned in that period, you are strong at, and learnings missed out during that period are difficult to catch again. This is the single largest reason for learning difficulties of people in particular areas. It is not something baby is born with, rather acquired since.

Autism:
I never feel too attached to people. I never feel having to do anything for others' feelings. Is this Autism a problem? I feel No. It is a purely rational behavior by motivated people.

So most abnormalities or disorders are acquired behavior, rather than based on hereditary.

No comments: